Student Visa

General Information

The Australian student visa Subclass 500 allows eligible foreign nationals to entre Australia to study full-time in Australia for courses that registered with Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Student (CRICOS). Adult students can include family members in the application, even if they do not plan to travel with you, declaration must be made for family members. Visa holder can work up to 48 hours a fortnight when your course of study or training is in session (studying masters by research or doctoral degree, both students and their families have no limitation on the work). Though there is no age limitation for a student who wants to study courses at tertiary level, but for a school student must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.

Visa Duration

This is temporary visa to study up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay. Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 will generally only be granted a student visa for a maximum period of 3 years.


  • enrol with an Australian education provider as a full-time student, and obtain written confirmation of this enrolment (predominantly on-line courses are not eligible)
  • genuinely intend to enter and stay in Australia as a student.
  • have the required level of English language proficiency unless exempt and you must have taken the English language test in the 2 years before you apply for a student visa.
  • have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your intended stay in Australia.
  • have access to sufficient funds to cover your return airfares, tuition fees and the cost of living in Australia, as well as costs required for any dependents included in your application.

Subsequent entrants

Family members who apply after the primary applicant has been granted their visa must also provide documentary evidence of financial capacity.

Student Guardian Visa

General Information

If student visa holder who is under 18 years of age, the guardian can apply for Student Guardian visa Subclass 590 to accompanying the visa holder and provide care and support. The guardians should be the student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older, have enough money to support both the guardian and the student during the stay. Please note, there is no work right with this visa, the purpose of the visa is solely to provide care to a minor.

Visa Duration

You can stay in Australia until a date specified on your visa grant letter. Usually, the validity of the visa is the length of the student visa holder’s stay or when that student turns 18.